EBSCO offers a number of integration options to provide access to DynaMed content directly from electronic medical records systems, giving clinicians the evidence they need at the point-of-care. DynaMed has been integrated with Allscripts, Cerner, Epic, Eclipsys, GE, McKesson, MEDITECH and many other systems.
EBSCO provides a number of levels of access and integration points to DynaMed via EMR systems; however, options will vary from system to system, so be sure to check with your vendor to determine which options are possible at your institution. The most common access/integration methods are as follows:
A link typically configured within the EMR system so that it displays an icon or a menu option on the EMR tool bar that allows users to access and search DynaMed.
- Typically configured by EMR system administrator
- Similar to adding a “favorite” in a browser
- When the link is clicked within the EMR, DynaMed is opened in a new window or tab
- The majority of EMR vendors provide this functionality with their core system
- This is often the quickest and easiest way to provide access to DynaMed via the EMR
Access contextually-relevant search results within DynaMed from within various points of the EMR.
- Requires configuration by the institution IT department/EMR system admin
- When a user clicks on term within a patient record, DynaMed is opened in a new window with the relevant search results for the term clicked
- Some EMR vendors provide this functionality within their core systems
Access DynaMed content via "Context Aware Knowledge Retrieval (Infobutton)."
- Requires configuration by the institution IT department /EMR administrator
- Provides a standard mechanism for EMR systems to submit terms for searches to DynaMed
- Many EMR systems are beginning to utilize this standard. Click here to download a PDF version of the implementation guide
Web Service API
DynaMed content can be delivered via a real-time web service.
- Requires configuration by the institution IT department
- Flexible style sheet control allows content to be delivered with a customized looks and feel. Links can be configured to open the full DynaMed topic or to a specific topic section such as diagnosis or treatment
- For more detailed technical specifications and information on the Web Service API, please click here